This month’s wind storms and subsequent power outages have prompted Michigan State Police to issue a warning about carbon monoxide. MSP First Lieutenant Gabriel Covey tells WSJM News some folks around the state got sick last week because they didn’t keep their generators fully outdoors where they belong.
“If you’re going to use a generator, make sure that you have it outside or in a well-ventilated area,” Covey said. “People make the mistake of putting it in their garage, worrying about it being stolen, maybe just cracking a window or the garage door, and that’s not the best way to do that.”
Covey says you also should not use a stove to heat the home. He advises every house to have a carbon monoxide detector on every floor, noting the odorless gas can kill or cause brain damage faster than many people can detect it.