Pagel Introduces Hotel Carbon Monoxide Bill

The carbon monoxide poisoning death of a teenager at a Quality Inn hotel in Niles last month is prompting a potential new law. Republican state Representative Dave Pagel of Berrien Springs is teaming up with Democratic Senator Steve Bieda of Warren to introduce bills requiring all hotels have carbon monoxide detectors. It’s mandatory for new hotels, but this would ensure older ones add them, as well. Eleven people were sickened by the odorless gas from malfunctioning equipment in the pool area over spring break at the Niles Quality Inn. A lawsuit has been filed by the family of Bryan Douglas-Watts. Thirteen states already have the requirement.