Consumers Energy Warns About Carbon Monoxide Risks

You should have a carbon monoxide detector in your home and make sure your furnace is operating properly. That’s what Debra Dodd, of Consumers Energy, says following the death of a 13-year-old boy over the weekend from carbon monoxide poisoning in Niles. Several others were injured when a fire inspector says a pool heater at the Quality Inn and Suites had improper ventilation. Dodd tells Michigan News Network there are several symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“They often mimic the flu, and the flu is very prevalent right now in Michigan,” Dodd said. “Some of the symptoms can include headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness.”

Dodd says if you’re having those symptoms and you go outside and start to feel better, that could be a sign there’s a carbon monoxide leak. Five more children have been treated and released from the hospital after Saturday’s incident. A police officer and three other children were previously treated and released.